Amarnath, a common ingredient in traditional Asian food dishes provides a good source of dietary fibre and dietary minerals such as iron,magnesium and especially manganese.It has been claimed to be beneficial in preventing greying of hair.Also enhances eye sight.Called as Koyataku in Rayalseema districts I cook this leafy vegetable along with tender stalks.
- 8-10 amarnath bunches(seperate leaves from stalks)
- 6 garlic pods
- 1 tsp salt for taste
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 4 dry redchillies pierced
- 1 medium size onion cut into pieces
- 1 tsp poppu seeds(mustard,cumin,fenugreek)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp Chickpea powder/pappula podi
- Heat oil in a pan and once it is heated add poppu seeds.Let them splutter
- Add turmeric powder,garlic pods,red chillies and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add onion pieces and fry till they become transparent.
- Now add amarnath leaves and tender stalks,cook for 15-20 minutes until the leaves are cooked.Finally add chickpea powder/poppula podi and serve hot with rice and dal.