I am badly suffering from runnning nose and throat infection.I have never been accustomed of swallowing pills whenever I am sick and always prefer natural remedies handed down from our generations like turmeric laced milk,pepper rasam,tulasi kashayam etc.All these work as a good antidote for cold,cough and throat infection.Well coming to the recipe:
- 1 lemon sized tamarind
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp pepper/miriyalu grinded into coarse powder
- 1 tbsp rasam powder
- 5 garlic pods
- few curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee
- 2 tsp salt for taste
- 1 tsp turemeric powder
- few cilantro leaves
- Boil tamarind,tomato in water until the tomato is cooked.Cool it aside.
- Once cooled squeeze tamarind and tomato mixture and discard the pulp.
- Now in a vessel(preferrably stain less steel) add oil,once heated add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,fenugreek seeds and as they splutter add turmeric powder,curryleaves,red chillies,garlic pods and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add the tamarind-tomato extract to the vessel.Add few(2-3) cups of water.
- Add salt,rasam powder,pepper powder and boil for 5 minutes.
- Finally add cilantro and serve hot with rice.