Brinjal / egg plant is a favorite veggie for Sri.He wants brinjal to be cooked atleast once a week and if I cook throughout the week too he dont say NO to brinjal.I am allergic to brinji but for him I cook different variations of brinjal from stuffed recipe to roasted recipe.Brinjal dal/vankaya pappu is one among the variations which I cook.
- 1 cup tur dal soaked for 20 minutes in 2 cups water
- 1 lemon sized tamarind made into paste
- 2 brinjals cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 fenugreek seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
- curry leaves
- coriander leaves
- 5-6 garlic pods
- 1 medium sized onion cut into pieces length wise
- 1 tbsp oil
- Add turmeric powder to dal.Cook dal along with brinjal pieces in pressure cooker for 3 whistles.Keep aside.
- Once cooled remove the cooker lid and mash the dal and brinjal.
- In a pan heat oil,add poppu seeds and once spluttered add onions ,garlic,red chilly,curry leaves.Saute till onions become transparent.
- Finally add salt,tamarind paste and cook till the rawness of tamarind diappears.
- Serve hot with rice.