ChickPeas ,a legume otherwise known as chana dal is a staple ingredient in monsoon countries.In the form of a paste with water or yoghurt, it is most popular as a facial exfoliant in our country. I always have a big granary of chick pea powder which helps me seasoning of certain vegetables like ivy gourd,brinjal etc. When running out of time during week days i even uses this podi for upma,semiya upma etc.Poppula podi plays a major role in preparing erra karam dosa.
- 1/4 kg chickpeas/pappulu
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 10-12 red chillies (adjust as per spicy levels)
- 12 garlic pods
- 1/2 cup grated dry cocnut
- In a small pan roast red chillies for 1 minute.
- Now grind the chickpeas for 3 minutes.
- Finally add rock salt,red chillies,garlics ,grated coconut and grind for 3 more minutes.
- Store in an air tight jar.