Rasam meaning juice is a famous South Indian soup. Traditional preparation of this kitchen friend involves tamarind juice and tomato as base in additon to other spices and seasonings. I remember one of Sri's friend ,who is a North Indian when invited to lunch literally drank rasam as he loved it very much. I like to cook my nanamma's version of rasam ,where she adds coriander leaf and cilantro leaf with stalks as it imports more aroma and taste to rasam.This is a plain version of rasam.
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind
- 3 small tomatos
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1 red chilly pierced into small pieces
- 1 tbsp rasam powder
- a pinch turmeric powder
- 4 garlic pods
- 2-3 corainder stalks
- 3-4 cilantro stalks
- 1 tbsp ghee for popu
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 fenugreek seeds
- Boil tomato,tamarind,rock salt in a vessel.When tomato is cooked remove from stove and let it cool.
- Once cooled extract juice from the above mixture.
- Now heat oil/ghee in a vessel(preferrably steel as aluminium vessels reacts chemically with tamarind) and add all tadka seeds.Let them splutter.
- Add garlic and red chilly pieces.Pour the extracted juice into the poppu and add water.
- Finally add rasam powder,stalksof curry leaves and cilantro leaves.Boil for 5 minutes until the kitchen is spread with nice aroma.
Those who loves sweet vesrion of rasam can add 1/2 tsp jaggery/sugar.Rasam(salt version) along with curd rice also goes well.I like this combination.