Borugulu upma famously called as Uggani is a very popular tiffin in Rayalseema districts of AP.In North Karnataka uggani along with Mirapakaya Bajjis is very popular.Srikanth loves to have this breakfast along with Mirapakaya bajjis.I love this breakfast from my childhood.With puffed rice one can prepare a number of items.It serves as a breakfast item, popular street item named bhel puri and also in prasadams offered to god.
Coming to the procedure:
- 6 cups puffed rice
- 8 green chillies
- 1/2 inch deskinned ginger
- 12 pods garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 medium sized onion cut into small pieces
- few curry leaves
- few cilantro leaves
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil (adjust)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp split black gram
- Wash the puffed rice in water by soaking it for 2 mins.Dont soak too much as the puffed rice becomes soft and the uggani will turn out as paste.All the dirt from the puffed rice will come out as the water becomes black in color.
- Squeeze away water by taking handful of puffed rice each time and add to a vessel having holes.(If any water in puffed rice will go out through the holes).
- Now in a pan add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,curry leaves,turmeric and let them splutter.
- Make fine paste of green chillies, ginger and garlic(both combined) separately.
- Now add onion and once it becomes transparent add green chilli,ginger-garlic paste.Fry for few minutes until the rawness disappears.
- Add the squeezed puffed rice , pappula podi aka chick pea powder and mix well.
- Finally add lemon juice,salt and mix well
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot.