The other day my sis Chinna brought prawns as one of her colleague went to Nellore a coastal district in AP.Since the capital city is still in winter mood the prawns are fresh.One more happy thing for me is that the prawns are shelled and deveined.My part is now only cleaning and cooking.Sri misses all coastal food as in Hyd we wont get fresh watered prawns.My sibling also loves prawns like anything.Mom's version of prawn curry with cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds adds a nice taste and aroma to the curry.
- 1 kg prawns
- oil for frying ground masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt accordingly
- 1 lemon sized tamarind made as paste
For ground masala:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 fenugreek seeds
- 3 medium sized onions
- 10-12 garlic pods
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp grated dry coconut
- 1 tbsp chilli powder(adjust)
- Wash prawns in luke warm water and drain all the water.
- Now in a vessel add turmeric powder,salt and marinate for 20-30 mins.
- Roast the prawns on medium heat, as prawns retain water it takes some 20 minutes for all water to evaporate.By the end the prawns are almost cooked and are semi roasted.Dont forget to stir constantly.
- Mean while make paste of all ingredients mentioned in garam masala by adding water(1-2 tbsps).
- Now in a heavy bottomed pan, add oil and ground masala.Stir constantly until the rawness disappears.
- Add prawns,tamarind paste and 1/4th cup water(adjust as per gravy consistency).
- Bring to a boil and serve hot with rotis/rice.