I love this mutton curry as a side dish with dosas,puri and vadas. As a child i used to get up early on sunday mornings as this is a mandatory dish with dosa on sunday cooked by mom.When ever guests arrive to our home mom used to prepare this as breakfast item as every one loves the combo.Even Sri loves this combo and today i prepared this as Sri's bro is our guest.
- 1/2 kg mutton
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 large tomatos
- few curry leaves
- few cilantro leaves
- salt for taste
- 2 tbsp oil
For ground masala:
- 2 big size onions
- 8-10 garlic pods
- 1" deskinned sliced ginger
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2-3 1 ''cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 2 tbsp grated dry coconut
- 1 tbsp chilli powder(adjust as per spice levels)
- Wash mutton pieces with luke warm water and add turmeric powder,salt in a cooker.Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Mean while prepare ground masala by grinding all the ingredients specified above.
- Now cook mutton without lid until all water evaporates.Mutton retains some water and when turmeric and salt are added it becomes more watery.Now and then roast the mutton pieces so that they wont stick to cooker.
- Now add oil to mutton and once it becomes hot add ground masala.Roast for 5 minutes until the rawness dispapears.
- Add tomatos ,curry leaves and water.Place the lid and cook upto 10 whistles.
- Once the cooker is cooled remove the lid and add cilnatro leaves.Cilantro cooks with the heat in cooker.
If the mutton contains more fat add less oil.Cook mutton for 10-15 whistles accordingly as per the softness of mutton.Since the curry is for Puri the gravy can be preferrably thick.