Be an American,European,Indian,Chinese who ever it is every one loves aloo.May be the traditional methods and condiments differ. But the whole and sole vegetable loved througout the world is Aloo.In our country aloo with a blend of rich spices is famous in many forms like dum aloo,aloo parantha in North India,Masala dosa along with mashed potato in South India,vada pav in Mahrashtra etc. The present recipe is a delicacy of Kumoan region. Kumauni cuisine from Kumaon region of Uttarkhand is very simple and nutritional which suits the hard environment of Himalayas.Usually this recipe is prepared with Pahari potatoes available exclusively only in Himalayan region. Although the definition sounds quite cliché, you just have to taste the dish to realize why it is so popular among the people of the region. Today one of my colleague who belongs to N.India brought this snack and I liked it very much.Here's the recipe.
- 4-5 potatoes boiled ,peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 8-9 whole red chillies
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of asafoetida
- 4 tsps mustard oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- In a pan heat the oil, and once it is hot add red chillies and fry.Keep aside.
- Now add cumin seeds and when spluttered add turemeric powder.
- Add boiled potato cubes ,coriander powder,chilli powder,cumin powder,asafoetida,salt and water and fry on slow fire for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and red chillies.Serve hot.
This can be served as appetizer/starter during parties.