Sri was asking me from last 2 days to prepare any sweet. As it is week end I am busy with my clean and green chores.My search for a simple sweet dish ended with Basundi.
Basundi is an Indian Desert mostly in Bihar, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka. It is a sweetened dense milk made by boiling milk on low heat until the milk is reduced by half.Heavy cream may be added during the boiling process to hasten the thickening process. Once reduced, a little sugar, cardamom, and/or saffron are added. Basundi is served chilled, often garnished with slices of almonds and pistachios.
- 1 litre milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 saffron strands soaked in lukewarm milk
- pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds and pistachios
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel and heat milk on medium flame until it reduces to half.
- Add sugar and stir till it dissolves.
- Add saffron strands,cardamom powder ,whipping cream and mix well.
- Turn off the heat,add almonds,pistachios.
- Serve hot or cold.